The Trans-Ozark Trail may someday be a trail running between Lake Fort Smith in Arkansas and St Louis, Missouri. Many pieces exist, with gaps between.
Working west-to-east and south-to-north, the existing pieces and gaps are:
- Ozark Highlands Trail – Boston Mountains section, 164 miles.
- Buffalo River Trail (middle and lower river sections), 43 miles.
- gap: Lower Buffalo River Wilderness. Estimated to be about 16 miles. A buswhack route exists.
- Ozark Highlands Trail – Sylamore section, 31 miles.
- gap: about 5 miles (straight line) between Matney Knob and the Lake Norfork dam. Some private property.
- Lake Norfork Trail, estimated at 18 miles.
- gap: about 4.5 miles (straight line). All Corps of Engineers property?
- David’s Trail, estimated at 20 miles.
- gap: about 4 miles (straight line) to the state line. All Corps of Engineers property?
- Ozark Trail. I haven’t researched this in depth but gaps seem to exist from state line to southern end of North Fork section, between North Fork and Eleven Point sections, and between Courtois section and St Louis.
- publish LBW bushwhack route – both map & GPX?
- publish maps for Lake Norfork and David’s Trail