Hi, I’m Michael R and I’m a compulsive hiker. I started hiking in September 2010, did my first backpacking trip in March 2011 and have jumped-in with both feet – completing about 90 multi-day trips since, mostly in the Ozark and Ouachita mountains areas. Originally from the Kansas City area, I moved to Fort Smith Ark in Aug 2013 to be closer to all the great trails and wilderness in the region before settling in Russellville Ark in July 2014. Besides hiking/backpacking, I also enjoy making maps, landscaping with native plants, nature photography, dark chocolate, old jazz & blues, all food, and good movies.
I spent too many years in front of a computer monitor thinking about little except the career (software developer), and am now getting back outdoors as much as possible to have an active life while I still can, and I help others do the same. I spend time with various organizations that build/maintain hiking trails and remove invasive vegetation from our wild areas. It’s a great way to do something for the community and get outdoors at the same time.
Never married, no kids, 5 computers, 3 tents, 4 backpacks, 3 sleeping bags, …
- Favorite months: April and October
- Last books read: Rude Pursuits and Rugged Peaks, Schoolcraft’s Ozark Journal 1818-1819, The River of Doubt, Theodore Roosevelt’s Darkest Journey
- Favorite cheeseburger: Angry Hornet at Oark General Store
- Politics: When I have to choose a label, I pick “pragmatic libertarian”
- Worst advice received: Indulge your whims (from a Dove candy wrapper)
- Favorite musical artists: Ben Webster and Albert King
- Favorite fruit: White Nectarine
- Religion: None. I can do the right thing without the threat of eternal damnation
- Favorite Star Trek: The Original Series